i’m awesome too
A good friend of mine is in town this weekend so I’ll keep it short and sweet.
I recently came across a list of the 100 science articles that every graduate student should read on a scientist’s blog. I curiously looked through the list and noticed very quickly that 9 of the about 76 (so far) posted articles were written by him! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Watson and Crick’s Nature article on the double helix structure of DNA was not even on the list. And the articles that were seemed to be mostly potentially useful to only a small subset of graduate students. I won’t mention the scientist’s name because I don’t want to draw negative attention to this dude from my blog, but, COME ON!!!! I pubmed-ed this scientist and noticed that, yes, he does good–no, great–science. But to tell me that over 10% of the 100 articles every graduate student should read was written by this dude’s hand? C’moooonnnnnnnnn… A few of you might have seen this distributed over twitter and/or my response to it, so if you’ve taken a look at the list, am I wrong?
Not that accolades mean much but even if this dude had won a Nobel prize, was a member of the National Academy of Sciences or HHMI (note though this person has accomplished none of those things), there’s been so much amazing science, which should be at foundation of every biomedical graduate student’s education, that no person could possibly take credit for such a large chunk of it. That’s just my opinion though. But hey, even I need my ego stroked sometimes–I just think it comes across better when it’s someone else doing it.
So the final conclusion that I draw is that one’s blog must be the place for self-aggrandizement. Therefore I just want to tell you that while this dude can take credit for roughly 10% of the 100 articles all graduate students should read, I can take credit for the other roughly 90%. But then again, you already knew that.